A centre of excellence in teacher capacity development in Africa.
To transform teaching by continuously developing competencies for effective curriculum delivery and improved quality of education.
MANDATE & CORE FUNCTIONS
The Centre is mandated to provide Continuous Professional Development (CPD) for teachers. The functions shall be to:-
- Advice Government on matters pertaining to teacher capacity development.
- Coordinate teacher capacity development programmes in Early Childhood Care and Education, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Teacher Education and Special Needs Education.
- Undertake training needs assessments, inform quality assurance processes, conduct training impact assessments, policy, management and emerging issues
- Develop and implement teacher capacity development programmes in accordance with the policies specified by the government and other relevant bodies for all school subjects
- Functionalize secretariat of the Strengthening of Mathematics and Science Education in Africa (SMASE-Africa) Network and its successors;
- Organize and conduct seminars, workshops, conferences and symposia in support of teacher capacity development
- Print, publish and disseminate information to promote teacher capacity development utilizing diverse learning methods such as open & distance learning
- Provide advisory and consultancy services in teacher capacity development
The centre collaborates with local and international institutions to achieve its mandate. Some of these are:
Make use of MOEST’s identified training needs from school assessments and inform development of its INSET course content
Collaborate with TSC to identify knowledge gaps of teachers to inform INSET course content as required by TSC Act 2012
Partner with KICD to corroborate INSET course content and training on curriculum implementation and enhance teacher’s capacity to interpret and implement the curriculum
Partner with KNEC to provide feedback from assessment and evaluation to inform INSET course content
Collaborate with KISE to incorporate special needs in INSET course content.